On October 18, 2016, the Office of Black Male Engagement (OBME) announced the establishment of the Mayor’s Commission of African American Males (MCAAM) for the City of Philadelphia. MCAAM will study the varying and diverse conditions of Black men in Philadelphia and provide yearly reports and recommendations to the Mayor, City Council, and relevant Organizations on how to affect positive outcomes for Black men and boys.
MCAAM is housed under the Mayors’ Office of Public Engagement (OPE), led by Deputy Mayor Dr. Nina Ahmad, and will be managed by the Mayors’ Office of Black Male Engagement (OBME), a branch of OPE under the direction of Jack Drummond.
“The work of MCAAM will be driven by the urgency to create policy that can improve the lives of African American men in Philadelphia, but also be a way for their stories to be shared and amplified,” said Dr. Nina Ahmad.
“While this commission is comprised of African American men, the diversity of their lives – age, sexual orientation, careers, education – is a strength and an asset to the city,” said Jack Drummond.
MCAAM membership is comprised of 28 individuals appointed by the Mayor and includes representatives of government, business, education, labor, health and civic organizations. MCAAM is constituted as a permanent commission by way of a voter referendum in April 2016.
MCAAM Commissioners are listed below:
- Rafiq Diya Al-Fareed, business executive
- Joel Austin, Founder, President & CEO, Daddy University, Inc.
- LaMont Brown, Creator, Annual KickBack Festival
- Antar Bush, Health Education Coordinator, AIDS Activities Coordinating Office of Philadelphia
- Thomas Butler, Director for Advancement and Operations, Philadelphia College Prep Roundtable
- Rashiid Coleman, Dean of Culture, Mastery Charter Schools
- Gregory Corbin, Executive Director, Philadelphia Youth Poetry Movement
- Kevin Covington, Support Coach, Center for Male Engagement, Community College of Philadelphia – Chair of MCAAM
- Sharif El-Mekki, Principal, Mastery Charter School-Shoemaker Campus
- Dr. W. Wilson Goode, President, and CEO, Amachi, Inc.
- Gary Hines, President, The Gary Hines Consulting Group, LLC
- Marc Holley, Climate Manager, Martha Washington Elementary School
- Steve Paul, Conflicts Researcher, Dechert LLP
- Bilal Qayyum, President and Executive Director, Father’s Day Rally Committee, Inc.
- Wadell Ridley, Assistant Vice President for Government and Community Relations, Saint Joseph’s University
- Michael Robertson, Nicetown Community Development Cooperation
- Michael Robinson, Director of Community Outreach – Human Resouces Division, Temple University
- Jason Smith, Director of College Support, KIPP Philadelphia Schools
- Seitu Stevens, Interim Campus Director, Lincoln University Coatesville Campus
- Isaiah Thomas, Director of Community Affairs for the City’s Controller
- Le Thomas, President, Philadelphia Black Gay Pride
- Darin Toliver, MSW, St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children’s Center for the Urban Child
- Wayne Williams, Education Services Director, Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Business Grant
Have a question about the MCAAM? Contact Office of Black Male Engagement Director, Jack Drummond via email at email@example.com or call (215) 686.0332.
NOTES from MCAAM Meetings: